The Walton coaching staff, Tip-off Club, players, and families enjoyed celebrating the many talented players in the Walton Basketball program. While the setting was different this year, the sentiment was no less! Thank you to The Springs Cinema & Taphouse in Sandy Springs for their special sponsorship and hosting us for the evening…food and beverage were delish and we loved seeing the basketball program on the big screen!
Several individuals were recognized for their exemplary work ethic both on and off the court. The Scholar Athlete Award can be earned only by Juniors or Seniors with a cumulative g.p.a. of 3.75 or greater. These players blew by that requirement! Also worth noting are the team g.p.a. averages: 3.98 for the Varsity Girls and 3.76 for the Varsity Boys…truly accomplished on the court and in the classroom!
Farewell to our 2021 Seniors–Tomisin Adenupe, Carson Adler, Luka Avaliani, Jacki Hecklinski, Landon Hong, Sarah Lang, Dylan Pumpian, Colleen Short, Tripp Smith, and Emma White. Several of these Senior athletes have played in the Walton Basketball Program for a total of EIGHT years…beginning in the 5th grade! They grew into awesome young men and women right in front of our eyes. The 2021 senior class has set quite the example for our younger players…thank you for your stellar leadership! We wish you nothing but success and happiness as you embark on your next journey. Remember to Rep The W and always come back for a visit!
The Player Awards are determined by the players…these recipients truly impress their teammates. The coaches verify those and of course select their Coaches Awards, which is a huge honor. Way to be a standout this season! Congratulations to our 2021 award recipients!
- Varsity Boys: Defensive MVP-Landon Hong, Co-Offensive MVPs-Luka Avaliani/Dylan Pumpian, MVP-Dylan Pumpian, Coaches Award-Carson Adler, Raider Pride-Tripp Smith
- Varsity Girls: MVP and Offensive MVP-Tomisin Adenupe, Defensive MVP-Sarah Lang, Rebounding MVP-Lexy Harris, Coaches Award-Colleen Short & Cici Childers
- JV Boys: Defensive MVP-Jason Varghese, Co-Offensive MVPs-Nathan Watson/Dylan Bhatia, MVP-Harry Tear, Coaches Award-Edgar Laurent
- JV Girls: MVP-Casey Ehlen, Offensive MVP-Molly Chapman, Defensive MVP-Ava McMasters, Rebounding MVP-Adair Talley, Coaches Award-Kailey Timson
- Freshman Boys: Defensive MVP-Zachary Plange, Offensive MVP-Josh Palmer, MVP-JP Wells, Coaches Award-John Wagner
Thanks and gratitude to the following Tip-Off Club Board members and Committee Chairpersons for their time and energy over the past three to four years. Sponsorship–Holly Smith, Communications–Amy Hecklinski, Concession–Melissa Pumpian. A very special thank you to President–Soogi Hong for her dedication and endless support of the Walton Basketball Program. Her efforts paved the road for the future!
And last, but certainly not least, congratulations to our very own Varsity Boys Head Coach, Bo Abney, 7A – Region 3 Coach of the Year. Senior Tripp Smith presented Coach Abney with a plaque for his office and Bo replied simply, “getting that award doesn’t mean I’m a great coach, it means I have great players.”